market-farming - [Market-farming] anyone know???

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] anyone know???
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 02:30:15 -0400

if there are bobcats or mountain lions in this area--Westfield, 20 minutes
east of Mt Airy, 7 miles from VA line??????????

Something god awful woke me with 2 blood curdling screams outside the
bedroom window. Very very odd and scary and then the hooves started
pounding.

I heard a vehicle go by, at first assumed it was on the highway, then
thought someone had come up trying to steal the horses (more common in this
area than most people know), but I found no evidence of tracks on the drive,
cut fences, tools laying around, etc. So now I'm assuming it had to be a
critter--I'd like to know what. It was like
nothing I've ever heard. Bobcats were common down on the coast and we lived
near a private forest so frequently had them on the farm, but I've not heard
or seen them up here though I'm sure they're here. This noise was alot
louder, more distressed than the screams they usually make.

The horses were pretty wound up and we had a job getting them to stop
running--wet slick ground equals broken/sprained legs & falls.

whew. Now I'm wide awake, heart still pounding 1000 beats a minute, and
have to work 10 hours today!

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC