market-farming - [Market-farming] Weeds in Mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Weeds in Mulch
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 22:27:04 EDT

We use four different colors of mulch and this is the first year that I have actually hed water hemp (Red Pig Weed) grow through the black plastic.  I'm sure it is because we have no warm days of any kind yet this, nothing over 80.  Almost 20" of rain in the month of May has really made the weeds very hardy.   I really have loved having all the rain because our well's gave out last year after the third year of drought, and this at least has raised our water table some what but not not back to normal, and I'm sure it will get very dry rather soon.

Bill I was able to lay about 3000' of silver mulch, will be a really intresting summer trying to see if I can find a difference in aphid pressure when the soybean aphid shows up later in the summer.   Maybe it will be wet and not have the problems we did last year in the dry conditions

Phil.

  • [Market-farming] Weeds in Mulch, SaladG, 06/04/2004