market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: No more red mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: No more red mulch
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:32:26 -0500

In Oklahoma, where it gets darned hot, I know vegetable
farmers that use clear plastic mulch. The weeds grow
like crazy underneath the clear plastic.
"But so what," the farmer tells me, "they're not going anywhere."

The weeds eventually die and turn into an mulch under the plastic.

This goes back to the mid-80s. We conducted an on-farm trial
comparing clear plastic, black plastic, vs. bare ground.
Cantaloupes and watermelons.

They were so happy with results they bought a plastic mulch
layer and a mechanical transplanter.

Later, they got out of black plastic and just went to clear plastic.

Flood irrigation in channels next to ridged beds.

No herbicides.

The sun bakes the weeds.

I don't know if it will work in cooler climates.

Steve Diver
Fayetteville, Arkansas