market-farming - [Market-farming] How to keep fox out of chicken tractor?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Paul Bucciaglia <pbucciaglia AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] How to keep fox out of chicken tractor?
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 18:08:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

We built a 4X10' chicken tractor out of 2X2's and chicken wire.  On the second night a fox got in-we have sandy soil and he dug right under it.  How do you all keep digging predators out of a chicken tractor?  I put a lead from my deer fence energizer on the chicken wire so when it comes back tonight for round 2 it should get a surprise.  I'd like to avoid electric poultry netting as we have less than 10 layers and the eggs are for farm crew consumption only, I liked the idea of just moving the tractor over the lawn every few days to keep things simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Paul Bucciaglia
Fort Hill Farm