market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Purple veins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Purple veins
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:57:13 -0400

What Bill said about the cool soil temps...

Have you had any kind of soil test done in the recent past? This will tell
you about Phosphorus levels in your soil and will point to or eliminate the
need to add more.

If soil Phosphorus is OK and the soil temp. is low, you can eliminate the
deficiency by raising soil temp. Add black plastic mulch or cover rows
and/or beds with row cover. Both these will raise soil temp. There's the
added benefit that the plants will start growing faster because the soil
life will become more active, meaning more nutrients are cycled and
available to plants.

If you do have a Phosphorus deficiency in your soil, the fastest way to get
it to the plants is as a foliar (leaf) spray. Soluble, chelated minerals
are widely available (I've seen them at my county farm co-op). Mix them
according to directions with water and apply with as fine a mist as your
spray nozzle has, paying attention to getting it on the undersides of the
leaves- this is where the pores are. Then plan to add Phosphorous as a
soil amendment in the fall.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

Phosphorus