market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Flowers on Tomatoes Dropping Off

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bill Shoemaker" <wshoemak AT inil.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Flowers on Tomatoes Dropping Off
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:23:38 -0500

Matt

Dry air shouldn't be a problem as long as there is sufficient water in
the soil. I'll add that the plant may be dropping some flowers but still
setting some fruit. Many plants produce many more flowers than they are able
to set as fruit. There is a selective advantage to such traits. Peppers are
notorious for this trait, particularly large ones like bells or poblanos.
But tomatoes can drop some flowers and still set some fruit. The available
resources regulate how much fruit set actually happens.

Bill