market-farming - [Market-farming] killing carpenter bees & overmedicating

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT laughingbrookfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] killing carpenter bees & overmedicating
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:53:15 -0400

Well, I've finally taken an off-farm job, actually it's more like I
finally FOUND an off-farm job. I've been looking for 2 years & with all the
textile, furniture, & tobacco factories around here closing, I was very
lucky to find what I did. Fortunately, I can still use my ag experience,
talk shop and get discounts for farming stuff. Anyone here shop at Tractor
Supply?? I know, I know, a big box store, but in our area they are a
godsend.

Anyway, 2 experiences that have made me grit my teeth & determine to make a
go at farming somehow/somewhere (I HATE retail):

Lady came in to get something to kill all the "carpenter bees". Couldn't
fathom the idea of taking a 2x4 and giving them somewhere to be other than
her porch. Didn't want to listen to their role in pollination after the
current plight of the honeybees.

Then another guy comes in, wants Terramycin. I asked for the chickens'
symptoms. They weren't sick. He was feeding them both medicated feed AND
medicated water. Couldn't for the life of me persuade him to let them go a
few days to see how they were doing. They had NEVER been sick. Store
policy: sell, sell, sell. even in these antibiotic-resistant days.

Next goal: to get the store to at least consider doing a farmer's market in
their parking lot, maybe even company-wide.

Liz Pike
Laughingbrook Farm
Westfield NC
http://www.marketfarming.com new content added daily!!