market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Planting and Managing 3 Acres of vegetables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Planting and Managing 3 Acres of vegetables
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 15:32:49 +0000

While we don't quite have 3 acres in cultivation of vegetables, we probably
have 1 whole acre in veggies, another half acre in flowers, and an acre of
Gravenstein apple trees.

I'm not sure what you mean by small farm equipment. My main cultivator at
this point is a 5.5hp TroyBuilt rototiller. It's just barely adequate. I
use a 28hp John Deere tractor that belongs to the property owner where the
majority of our field is - he has a mowing attachment and a discer. I've
rented the tiller attachment for the JD, but I've found that it is really
only good for breaking up fields that have been years in grass and clover. I
really have to get in there afterwards with a walk-behind tiller. About the
only other power equipment I use at this point is a gas weedwhacker.

Things I really would like, but don't have:
a chisel plow for the JD, to break up the subsoil
some sort of mechanical seeder for planting "odd-shaped" flower seeds

Speaking of that subject, does anyone have a reference online where I can
look at BCS tractors? Does the company have a website? Googling just seems
to return dealers that are not in my area. I'm hoping that I can find a
local (northern CA) BCS dealer if possible, I'd like to look at their stuff.

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens