market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Planting and Managing 3 Acres of vegetables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr - The Chile Man <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Planting and Managing 3 Acres of vegetables
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:23:07 -0400

Hey, I'm with that, Shelly!

The *only* equipment I use (and that, just occasionally) is a
Rototiller. Usu. just to take up the sod.

Tillers destroy to soil structure, disturb (or kill) the microorganisms,
chop up the earthworms (and earthworm castings are the *best* fertilizer
you can find), and create a hardpan where the tines of the tillers hit.

The only time I'll use a tiller in an established bed (all raised) is if
they're full of ground-nesting wasps (cicada killers, usually). The
only way to get rid of these rascals, short of poison (which we won't to
on our organic, sustainable farm) is to deep till, down at least 8".
Maybe every three or four years we have to do this. (Sigh.)

We grow on appx. 2.5 acres. Some seasonal help is good, but other than
that, my wife and I do it all our/selves (plus, we sell seedlings from a
greenghouse and make about 50,000 value-added products each year).

I'll sleep when I'm dead!

--
Robert Farr
The Chile Man

* A sustainable farm producing hot sauce marinades, salsas, mustards,
and barbecue.
* Subscribe to our online newsletter at http://www.thechileman.com
* Check out this article about us from The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A8659-2001Jul17.html
* Open Houses and Farm Tours throughout the year. See our web site for
details!