market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] asparagus
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 08:04:57 -0400

On Mon, 03 May 2004 20:58:04 -0400, you wrote:

>Willie, Im the wrong guy to ask because I don't grow it commercially on my
>farm, for me its just for the kitchen garden. My state is fifth nationwide
>in asparagus acreage yet I see a lot in the market from CA. Prices
>wholesale are around $1 a pound at the auction markets in NJ and southern
>PA it selling for $1.50-1.75 lb. I don't know what its selling for
>retail.

I'm in north central PA, and can buy it (right now - this
time of year only) for $1.99/lb in the supermarket. It will
stay at that price for about, maybe, six weeks, costing more
before and after the six weeks and eventually disappearing
from our stores until the next year.

I only buy it at $1.99 lb, and not too much of it at that
price either. I've got to get some planted! I'm sure
home-grown is much better too, more flavorful.

Pat