market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] salad mix production

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] salad mix production
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 08:53:15 -0400

Many years ago my dad took down a house that had red cedar siding, we cut up
the cedar and built trays 12"x24" about 4" deep. We filled them with peat
and compost and propagated perennials in them, later I used them to grow
tomato plants. They lasted forever, I still have some after 34 years!. I
think they would be great for salad mix growing for three reasons, they held
water but drained well, they keep the roots cooler and they breath through
the pores in the wood. And unlike plastic in the end if you can burn them as
firewood.. Bob.(asparagus season full tilt)
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.