market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Subscription fee

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Subscription fee
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 12:33:37 -0400

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:04:50 -0400, you wrote:

> My whole point is not to attack the list owner or devalue thier time or
>efforts but to point out that all our time and contributions have value and
>the primary value of a discution list is to share that value and enhance all
>our endeavors when we start setting prices on the ability to share what we
>have learned with each other and help solve one anothers problems we have
>stoped being farming neighbors and entered into the corporate rat race.
> Just my opinion (which may have no value at all therefore I dont charge
>for it ) : )

Well, it's certainly one point of view. It's not mine.

I think it appropriate and fair for listmembers to
recompense the listowner a (very) modest amount for the time
and work he/she puts into it (administrative tasks,
refereeing arguments, putting a stop to spam or trolling,
keeping the list roughly on topic, etc.).

I've been on several lists that operated on voluntary
contributions and I contributed my fair share to those
lists. They were good lists too, as is this one.

Some of us simply cannot afford to work for free, altruistic
though we may wish to be. I know I can't.

Pat