market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Re: tomato training and sunflowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marie Kamphefner" <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Re: tomato training and sunflowers
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 07:42:37 -0500

Regards to the list:

I scratched this idea. Last year was the first time I ever planted
sunflowers and after I thought about it, I realized I never had to weed
them. It might be worth a try to experiment with a few but I hate to
lose ANY. We had a giant sunflower come up volunteer along the edge of
a chicken pen and we let it grow - it was like a small tree, it was so
strong. It would make a wonderful tomato stake. We'll see.

Marie in Missouri

Jean brings up an excellent point. I know
tomatoes and black walnut trees do not mix-it
seems tomatoes are one of the most sensitive
veggie crops to jugalone.

If you are really enamored with this idea why
not try a few tomatoes and see how it goes.
if it works than you have a neat technique,
if it fails all you have lost is a few tomato
plants and not your main crop.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
http://www.boulderbelt.com