market-farming - [Market-farming] U-Pick Apples discussion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] U-Pick Apples discussion
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:17:05 -0700

Hello Tom. I do not operate a u-pick, so please take my suggestions with a
grain of salt. :-) I would suggest that it would be helpful to examine your
reasons for starting a u-pick first. It will help you decide if, when, and
how to start your u-pick better than any other suggestions.

Do you want to start a u-pick because some customers ask? Are they new or
repeat customers? Would renting trees to specific families or having a CSA
set-up work best to start slow? Maybe a special invitation to repeat
customers wishing to pick apples is a good start. State clearly this is
experimental on your farm to learn if a u-pick is a good idea for your farm.
This will help folks not to expect the best set-up for picking apples to
help keep initial costs down.

It sounds to me, your posts are suggesting your apple orchard has very
little improvements which means new expenses to ensure a safe and
customer-pleasing orchard. If so, a market analysis should be done to help
decide if the additional costs and work will pay for itself. It all depends
on your location and customer base. I think a serious look at your customer
base is needed.

Some customers are only familiar with the highest quality service and
facilities. Some customers are comfortable going into your orchard and
picking apples as if it was a friend's backyard (no expectations). Knowing
the customer base should help you keep costs in check while giving the
service needed by your particular customer.

Have you any Eric Gibson books? I have an older copy of SELL WHAT YOU SOW!

The truth is, once quality and quantity of apples are considered, your
remaining considerations are purely marketing, safety, and profit. Gibson's
book is great at looking at all the problems and advantages of u-picks. It
may be found in the library.

Good luck.
Christina

  • [Market-farming] U-Pick Apples discussion, mtlivestock, 04/22/2004