market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Heirloom Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: , Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 04:35:43 +0000

A little background, somewhat off topic, which you probably know:

In the 1930's, the remarkable Paul Robeson toured in Europe and in the former
Soviet Union (he spoke more than a dozen languages) and became a folk hero in
those places for his singing and for his championing the cause of social
justice. So I would bet that the name of the tomato is a deliberate tribute.

Like many social activists of that period, he was tagged in the later
McCarthy era as a 'fellow traveler' of the Communist Party and was
subsequently blacklisted and denied permission to travel abroad. A Rutgers
University graduate (and academic and sports star), he ended his life
consigned to relative obscurity but is today honored widely, including Paul
Robeson Cultural and Community Centers at various Rutgers campuses, and
collections of his works at Princeton University and the University of
Chicago, etc.

Bob Higgins
Red Brick Farm
Hopewell, NJ