market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Papalo/Epazote/Culantro

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Papalo/Epazote/Culantro
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:46:24 -0700

<<Steve, do you have a good source for the culantro? I searched a year or
so ago and remember finding 2 or 3 different plants being sold as
culantro ... and never ordered any. >>

I believe I got my seed from Richters. The Papalo I got from Redwood.

<<By poor returns, do you mean that
customers don't care for the flavor? Or perhaps it's viability as a
crop?>>

Sorry, I was vague. The yield was bad. I think even when these things don't
sell well, they're worth it to give you something to talk about and it
almost "validates" you.

The famous Mexican cookbook author Diana Kennedy was in town and needed some
culantro for a dish she was making and I was called. I warned them I didn't
have much and what I did have was unexceptional (but tasty). I gave it to
her. She looked at it, smiled and said, "Well, clearly it doesn't grow
here!"

Steve