market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Papalo

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mmaysen" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Papalo
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:59:00 -0500

Hi Bill,
I grew Papalo (porophyllum ruderale) for a couple of years. It was a
beautiful plant, about 5' to 6' tall. And you could smell it rows away
in the garden. The leaves were thicker than cilantro, and were 3/8" long
when young to 3/4" long or so at maturity. The leaves were rounded,
nothing like cilantro leaves. I really liked the flavor and odor, but,
some of my customers thought it was too strong for their tastes. Also,
it should be used freshly cut, or added to food at the last moment - not
cooked.
It's not related to Cilantro/coriander, though it's compared to it for
the flavor.

MeLani

www.dunsmuirherbs.com