market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Papalo

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Steve Sando" <steve AT mrlucky.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Papalo
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:41:46 -0700

My experience is that papolo is not a good cilantro alternative. It's a
weird wonderful herb but if you're expecting cilantro, you're in for a
shock. it's used like fresh cilantro, chopped up and added to cooked food,
but the taste is not the same.

I missed what the original context was, but you may want to try CULANTRO, a
new world native that really does taste like cilantro. The texture is
different and it's more like a succulent, which means it won't bolt like
cilantro.

I had great luck with papaloquelite and very poor returns on the culantro.

If you have savvy customers, don't forget the epazote.....

Steve

Rancho Gordo
New World Specialty Food
www.ranchogordo.com