market-farming - [Market-farming] Root nematodes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Root nematodes?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:44:46 +0000

Hi All:

Last year, a large percentage of my potatoes came out gnarly and deformed.
This was in my new garden, first market garden, new place we moved to. First
I thought the potatoes looked like that because I let the weeding go and they
had to compete with lots of strongly-rooted weeds -- maybe the weed roots
wrapped around the taters.

Now I'm thinking this is classic root nematodes like the kind that deform
carrots. The potatoes were planted in a field that hadn't been turned over in
years -- lots of old haygrass sod. I've only seen nematodes do in carrots
before. Do these buggers deform potatoes too? If so, does anyone know any
organic treatments for the soil before I put in this year's crop (in a
different part of the field)?

Thanks!

Bob Higgins
Red Brick Farm