market-farming - [Market-farming] A Riddle: Thanks for all the info!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] A Riddle: Thanks for all the info!
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:08:57 -0500 (CDT)

Just wanted to thank everyone for the very nice discussion about the
problem I had with stunted seedlings.

I think the problem was caused by two things:

1. Too cold, even for southern Arizona
2. Seedlings in the potting mix too long

Despite all of you telling me I should just throw away everything, I
couldn't bring myself to do it and I'm really really glad I didn't. The
lettuces that were less than 1/2 inch high two weeks ago but rootbound I
planted in the garden. That was exactly two weeks ago. Today, they're
all about 4 inches high. The spinach that looked more dead than alive has
now quintupled in size over these past 14 days. Another red lettuce
planted about 10 days ago has tripled in size. I'm going to monitor their
progress carefully becuase I know that some of you also warned me that
they'd grow slowly or be fairly unhappy and not grow well. I'll keep you
all updated.

Anyhow, I've learned my lesson for next winter: build a greenhouse, even
if it's just a small one, to keep the seedlings in. If I can have it be
70-80F during the day (instead of 40-50F), I'm pretty sure they'll do much
better. I say that because the seedlings I have now are getting 70-80F
days and are growing like crazy.

Another quick note. Last Saturday was week 4 of my 'Vegetables' table at
my local feed store. Not that I brought much, but for the 2nd week in a
row what I did bring sold out in about 90 minutes. I even have a few
"regulars" that are now coming specifically to get the veggies I have for
sale. In the three hours I'm there (unless I sell out early!), usually
about 20 people come over and take a look and chat. Half of them buy
something, the other say they don't want what I have but will keep coming
back as I get more stuff. What a rush! I left early last saturday
becuase I sold out. Right after I got home, I got a phone call from a
very angry woman who was upset I wasn't there! Am I concerned about this?
On the contrary! It's totally *awesome* to think that people are now
*upset* if I'm not there with my veggies! What a rush!

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce