market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] A Riddle ...
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:41:13 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Pat Meadows wrote:

> What's the growing medium? Seed starting mix? Other?

I've been using 'Supersoil' for all my stuff.

> What are the seedlings actually planted *in*? That is, are
> they all together in just the flat, or are they in 6-packs
> or peat pots or what?

Three different things:

1. Those 72 hole things you can buy at the hardward store for
$5
2. I've recently moved to shallow (8 inches high I think)
sweater boxes. In these, I've been using those Jiffy-Pack
peat containers (square ones) filled with the 'Supersoil'.
I can fit 50-60 of these in one sweater box.
3. Same as #2 but with round jiffy-pack peat containers.

> Have you fed them with any fertilizer/plant food? If so,
> what kind and how often?

No, I'm not feeding them at all. The 'Supersoil' has some fertilizer in
it already. As I said, i've been very succesful with this stuff up until
recently. Lettuce planted from seed in the sweater boxes on 2/6/04 are
already in the ground and growing! Others in this set of stunted plants
with bound roots have been sitting there since Dec and Jan.

> Can you give an estimate of how many hours of sunlight they
> receive per day (on average)?

Well, as I said, up until about a week ago I had to them all in at night.
So they were getting probably 8-10 hours a day. Now they're outside all
the time, so they get 12+ hours a day.

Matt