market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Mkt.Vending Rules

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farmers' Mkt.Vending Rules
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:40:09 -0500

Old Timin' wrote:

Roger said: "It's worth noting here that at least in California, farmer's
markets are certified by the state, and each grower who sells at markets
much have a "producer's certificate" from your local county ag department
stating what/where/how much you grow of each item."

I certainly would not want to see this happen. Look at what happened to
"organic" when the government decided to "regulate" it.

When organic was regulated on a state level it was not a bad thing, it was only when the Feds got in the game did things get dicey. So perhaps FM's with a state/locally run inspection system would not be a bad thing either. As more and more markets become havens for reselling an inspection system for farmers markets is more and more necessary.

But I think it is probably best for each market to have a board or some sort of governing body to oversee such actions.

I now have to think about/deal with such things as I got a spot on my FM governing council. This is all new for this market which has been around for 29+ years but has not had much of any management during that time. the parking lot where they had held the market for the past 16 years or so is no longer available so the market had to move elsewhere in the town.

The move was the impedous to get a many growers, city people and consumers together to put new life into the market along with the new venue. Among other things this meant re-writing market rules and one of the new rules is a clause that lets us inspect any farms we may think are reselling. At this point none of us involved with running the market really has any plan how to go about inspecting farms. It would be nice to have state guidelines especially if we inspect someone and they decide to sue the Farmer's market.

Ah we will muddle though just fine I am sure.

Lucy Goodman
http://www.boulderbelt.com