market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 14, Issue 25

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: rjweeks70 AT comcast.net
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 14, Issue 25
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:23:19 +0000

Linda -

Every farmer's market I sell at - six different ones, now - has different
rules and different politics that affect what vendors sell.

I am most happy at markets that make no rules about what I can and cannot
sell. We're a farm, and we have a wide variety of farm products: veggies,
herbs, cut flowers, preserves, dried herb blends, and soon we hope to have
duck meat and duck eggs.

It's wonderful to have a market manager that is concerned about there being
too many of one thing at the market, but that can be carried too far.
Especially at markets where a vendor has become used to being the sole vendor
of a certain item, and seeks to protect their niche by preventing anyone else
from competing. I don't view that as a good market, or good politics.

Just my .02...

Roger Weeks
Weeks Gardens - http://www.weeksgardens.com
Sebastopol, CA

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:24:43 EST
> From: HMSTDFRMS AT aol.com
> Subject: [Market-farming] Farmers' Mkt.Vending Rules
> To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Our very successful 5 year old farmers' market is having some growing
> pains.
> We are a producer only market and have until now evaluated each vendor
> application determining which products the market needs to provide a
> diverse
> selection for our customers and also to prevent the market from being
> "flooded"
> with
> any particular product. There is now a movement under foot to open the
> market
> to allow vendors to sell any product they produce.
> I am interested to hear how other successful markets handle this area. We
> want to be fair to existing vendors who use this market as a livelihood,
> but
> also encourage new farmers to expand and grow. Thank you for any insight!
> Linda
> Homestead Farms

  • [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 14, Issue 25, rjweeks70, 03/15/2004