market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hello and questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <cheselka AT freestateproject.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hello and questions
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:11:09 -0600 (CST)

Scott -- what are the dimensions of the individual raised beds? They look
to be maybe 3ft wide and 4ft long, and about 10 inches high?

How much production do you get from your "Hops Bed"? Being in southern
california, have you ever considered 12-month gardening? That's what I do
here in SE Arizona. In fact, I'm delivering some lettuces to my
wholesaler on Tuesday that I put in the ground last December. They
overwintered really well (the coldest it got here was 5F) under my simple
tunnels and grew a little, but as soon as this warm weather hit a few
weeks ago, they've exploded! I've got leaf lettuce heads that are 18+
inches across! Sheesh!

I've found that "in season" has a different definition for those of us in
the southern US. I figure, if the plants grow and show themselves to be
happy doing it, they're "in season" even if somewhere north they wouldn't
grow at all!

Matt