market-farming - [Market-farming] Hello and questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: DifferentPiper AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hello and questions
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:13:56 EST

Hi all,
I've been reading this list for a few months on the recommendation of Rob
from Johnny's Select Seeds, and I've learned a lot. I've just got a backyard
garden, though my wife has taken to calling me Farmer Scott. I'm in suburban
Los
Angeles County, so it would take a major change to shift to any market garden
scale. I've spent today getting the garden ready for the growing season.
This has me appreciating what you real farmers are going through. A picture
if
my garden can be found at
http://hometown.aol.com/differentpiper/myhomepage/index.html, The pictures
are a year old and the hop bed has since been turned
into a ginger garden, and I've just finished constructing pvc irrigation
grids
for each bed.
The peppers thread has piqued my interest, as I had habaneros growing near
Anaheim chiles. I have saved the seed and have started them in hopes of
getting
an Anaheim/habanero cross. Anyone have any idea which variety will dominate,
or whether there will be any difference?
My other hobby is brewing my own beer, and that has been included in my
gardening, from the hops I grew a few years ago to attempting to grow grains.
This
year I plan on growing aramanth, quinoa and sorghum. What experience have
you had with these, and what sort of yield per plant is normal? I did try
growing aramanth a few years ago, but the birds got to it before I did, so I
plan
on being proactive with bird net.
This list has been quite informative, and has gotten me to make more trips to
my local farmer markets. It really is better to buy vegetables that are in
season.

Cheers,

Scott