market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: commercial Kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcie A. Rosenzweig" <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: commercial Kitchen
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:32:32 -0800

Hi Folks,

One way to solve this problems is to rent a commercial kitchen. Rent need
not be expensive and can frequently be traded out for product. Be sure you
have a written lease agreement so the Health Department is satisfied.

Some sources for renting commercial kitchens.

Restaurants serving only breakfast and lunch - you rent evenings

Dinner only restaurants - you rent early morning

Church kitchens

Public hall kitchens

Public or private school kitchens

Camp kitchens in the off-season

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle
3377 Early Times Ln
Auburn, CA 95603-7900
(530) 885-9201

Not all of these are available or feasible in all communities but it's worth
a try.

Anybody else have other rental ideas

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:34:16 -0600
> From: "mmaysen" <mmaysen AT alltel.net>
> Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Selling at 5 markets- dried herbs,
> sundried tomatoes
> To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
>
> Roger,
> I enjoy reading about your venture, you are just a few miles from my old
> 'hometown'. If you don't mind my asking, I'm curious if a commercial
> kitchen is required for your dried herbs? And also, for those of you
> selling sun-dried tomatoes? I would think it would be required for the
> tomatoes due to the high moisture content would allow for more
> susceptibility to bacteria, and other problems.
>
> The reason behind my curiosity... For the past 5 years, I have been
> selling dried herbs at a farmer's market. This was all with the
> pre-approval of the county health dept; along with following their
> packaging guidelines. Last fall I went to apply for a permit to sell
> them at a festival in another county. I was initially given the permit;
> but, two days later received a call questioning the product. This
> (different) county decided that they were 'processed foods' and would
> require a commercial kitchen. They also contacted the state office,
> which, in turn, contacted the first county and thus, the end of the
> dried herbs portion of my business. (At this point, a commercial
> kitchen or processing facility isn't feasible for me) It is interesting
> (and frustrating) to me that the rules can be interpreted so
> differently. The counties involved are unfamiliar with herbs, which is
> part of the problem. I have also been told that fresh-cut herbs
> required a commercial kitchen, but, they later changed their mind on
> that.
>
> MeLani
>

> -- We both do dried and fresh
> --herbs, and I do most of the planting and harvesting.
> --Roger Weeks

  • [Market-farming] Re: commercial Kitchen, Marcie A. Rosenzweig, 03/14/2004