market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Pepper germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Pepper germination
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:19:40 -0500

Just one question since the list seems to be talking about peppers. What is the best way to encourage germination of the seed?

peppers want it very warm for germination. they need the room to be around 85 degrees to get good germination.

I live in a cold wood heated house and that means the room i use to germinate things tends to rarely gets above 65˚F so what I do is make a germination chamber by hanging a sheet of plastic from the ceiling so that 1/4 of the room is behind the plastic. In that space goes a space heater and that keeps the room toasty 24/7.

before I used the plastic to make the chamber I was lucky if I got 50% germination with peppers, with many being deformed and not making it to transplant. But by getting the area warm I increased germination to 80% to 99% (depending on the seed, our home grown seed works a lot better than seeds from other places)

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
http://www.boulderbelt.com