market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Recommendations on DR Field and Brush Mower

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <CASTENS AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Recommendations on DR Field and Brush Mower
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:31:26 -0600

Lisa, I've never used a DR mower, but 15 acres of overgrown pasture is a
HUGE undertaking with a walk-behind anything.

There are so many other jobs a tractor can help with besides mowing --
tilling, hauling logs, drilling post holes, raking/baling/hauling hay, ad
infinitum -- that it's hard to imagine that you wouldn't soon find yourself
buying the tractor anyway.

As for the hilly terrain: Make sure if you buy a tractor that it has a
rollover protection system (ROPS) and wear your seatbelt. Serious injuries
or death can take a lot of the fun out of farming.

Strictly my opinion: If it's too steep to mow, it's probably going to erode
quickly under hooves.

Errol Castens
Oxford, Mississippi