market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] staking tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Paul A. Bock" <bockpa AT plesh.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] staking tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:11:54 -0500

Hi Ploughshare,
Now I am really intrigued. I always thought that blights were related to
the high humidity, not the temperature. So you are saying that the plastic
keeps the temp up, and it sounds like the humidity as well. which makes for
great plants. I thought that the blights took hold on the dew laden plants
during wet cold summers. But if I am understanding you correctly, it is
because of the colder temperatures not the high humidity that keeps
everything from drying out properly? Maybe the spores in the air that cause
the blight can't get into your hoophouse. That probably isn't right with
the level of ventilation you have. I am really interested in this new piece
of information, could you elaborate?
-Paul Bock
Stone Gully