market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Staking tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Staking tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:34:59 -0500

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:29:34 -0500, you wrote:

>Lucy - What sort of high tunnel are you using? Where do you get the
>longer stakes and what do you have to give for them? Thanks -Allan

I'm not Lucy and we're using them for a different purpose...
but ... we have metal stakes that are intended to be fence
wire fencing. They are very sturdy and will last many
years. They have ... uh... wings at the bottom to hold them
in the soil.

We bought the very tall ones to support netting for cukes,
green beans, etc. They are (I think) nine feet tall,
certainly *after* being pounded in, they are at least seven
feet tall. The man who pounded them in needed to stand on a
ladder to do it.

These are very good for this purpose, because they have the
flanges for attaching fencing - or netting, or strings -
whatever.

They didn't cost all that much either, about $8 each.
Certainly less than $10 each. Worth it, IMHO.

Pat