market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Powder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic Powder
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:13:20 -0500

Joan,

I dehydrate it in a cheap electric dehydrator for 18 to 36 hours depending on the size of the cloves. I grind it in a blender and put the powder through a fine wire strainer to get out the bigger bits which become granulated garlic.

To remove skins more quickly cut them off the roots and than blanch the cloves for 30 seconds in boiling water than cool quickly and the skins slip off easily.

I store in canning jars at room temp.

Joan Vibert wrote:

Lucy - how are you dehydrating it? I have regular electric dehydrator that
I use for tomatoes and all and I would guess this would work - is there a
danger of over drying it? How long does it take? Then are you powdering it
in a blender? Food processor?

I also have an abundance of garlic this winter and I realize it will only
last so long in the fresh state - it might be marketable at the early season
market (or we'll just use it up for prepared foods).

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste