market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bulk compost, peat, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bulk compost, peat, etc.
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:31:54 EST

Matt,
While you are keeping your eyes out for sources of organic material and compost, ask what is in everything you get.  You will only want vegetative compost- stuff that  comes from other plant material and is free of pesticides and herbicides.  A lot of the stuff coming from lawn mowing companies will probably have pesticides in it.  You should check the sources of everything you are going to put on your wonderful veggie transplants.  Any good compost supplier will have a chemical analysis done on their finished compost, so ask to see it.  Look for the unobvious results (they will highlight the NPK results) like selenium, aluminum, other heavy metals because they are indicators of problems with the compost.
HTH,
Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm