market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bulk compost, peat, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KTCopsey AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bulk compost, peat, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:18:27 EST

In a message dated 2004-01-07 17:29:08 US Eastern Standard Time, cheselka AT mksit.net writes:
Another question I have is about getting compost, peat, and other goodies
for the soil in bulk rather than paying $3.89 for 3 cubic feet for compost
at Home Depot.  I
A better place to try would be your local landscape/garden center.  Many of these have bulk supplies of compost/topsoil/mulch etc.  I would suggest though that you go round and see the product before buying - compost can be anything!!!  Feel the product and smell it before buying.  Alas I don't know what they come under in the yellow pages directory, but some places sell purely wholesale garden ammendments - try the local Extension Office, they might be able to givce you some help too.  If you haven't used the Extension Office they are a mine of wonderful information both horticultural and garden related and well worth a trip to visit.  However, Extension agents are very overworked, so book an appointment before driving 20miles to see one!
Katy