market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bulk compost, peat, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Windsoap AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bulk compost, peat, etc.
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:11:44 EST

In a message dated 1/7/04 3:13:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, lh AT pressroom.com writes:

getting compost, peat, and other goodies
>for the soil in bulk

Find a tree trimming crew - they are around at least once a year trimming trees off the power lines.  Offer them a place to dump for free.  You'll get a mountain of ground wood, sometimes with logs in it that you could use for firewood.  It does have to rot for at least a couple of years, but then you'll have a really big pile of compost!  We layer this compost with veggie trimmings, etc to make our "super compost" and we also use it to build raised beds.  meanwhile, compost everything! Our local organic guru says you can compost anything that was once alive.  We don't put in meat or oil, but there is a lot of other stuff.  Even hair!  Your local barber shop throws away bagsful of high protein.  If hay is cut near you, sometimes you can buy last year's rotten bales cheap.  Add it to your compost until it is well rotted.  Drive through town on Sundays in the fall and pick up bags of leaves.
Thanks for shopping at Home Depot.  I own stock.
Wendy Akin
Akin Farm