market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: farmers' market sales- herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp2 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: farmers' market sales- herbs
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:05:02 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2003 7:41:57 PM Central Standard Time, KTCopsey AT aol.com writes:
I am curious as to how much you charge for your plants and how you get a farm market to start that early (in zone 4??).
Ha, we have had opening days when it <snowed> here!  Other years we have had 80F opening days!  But  we all want to be there for Mother's Day which is one of our biggest market days.
Our market allows all vendors who produce there own agricultural product, so we have cheese made from the vendors own cows milk, we have mushroom farmers, people who sell eggs, frozen meats of all kinds (even ostrich!), maple syrup from the farm's sugarbush, and honey.  Many of our vegetable farmers grow spring mix under row covers.  There is demand for watercress harvested from the cold spring rivers.  So, as you can see, our market doesn't just sell veggies and fruits that are in season and that allows for an earlier start .  We have some true entrpreneurs at our market like the couple who sell hickory nutmeats, or the guy who bottles his own pesto.

If the weather is nice enough at the end of April, people can't wait to get fresh plants started in their garden.  And we make sure that what we take at that time could survive light frosts overnight, like French sorrel, chives, tarragon, echinacea, feverfew, you know, any of the perennial herbs will do just fine until the ground is truly warmer.

Wait until the end of May?  You will be missing some of the best planting times!  By mid June almost all the garden planting is done and people want to sit back and enjoy the warm summer days.

Barb Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm
Lodi, Wi