market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: farmers' market sales- herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: farmers' market sales- herbs
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:07:08 -0500

i live due east of Indy. the weekday market we do opens in late April and the market we do in Richmond, IN (45 minutes east of Indy) open sometime between the first saturday in may and the 3rd Saturday in June depending on the current management and how the city is feeling that season.

We usually start our CSA by the 1st of April because we have so much to harvest and no FM's to go to. There is on year round market in Dayton, OH but they charge way too much for a space ($40 for a 10' x 8') and are not really farmer friendly-more of a food court and crafts market than a grower's market. they want farmers to be there 8 am to 5pm 4 days a week-doable if reselling but not if there is a farm to run.

Early in the season there are lots of greens-spinach, lettuce, spring mix, mustards, asian greens, kale, arugula as well as radishes, cilantro, parsley, peas, eggs, chicken, fresh flowers, chives, bedding plants, flower plants, house plants, early zukes and cukes from hoophouses, broccoli, cabbages, asparagus, rhubarb, canned goods, baked goods, worm castings, etc..

It took me several years to convince the Richmond, IN folks that it is indeed possible to grow things in the spring. The other FM I go to I run so I get to choose the starting date.

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH
Check out the Boulder Belt website:
"There is no way to peace---peace is the way."
A.J. Muste