market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] row covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] row covers
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:45:47 -0600

> The
> issue is how to get back under the covers and out of them
Allan - to risk sounding like a broken record (I don't know how many times
I've sent this response) I use Johnny's re-pins - 300 for $55 and they are
worth every penny. I've used the same box now for three or more years. I
push them through the row cover every 6 or so feet and they have held row
cover in 60 mph winds, I guarantee it. When I want to get into a row, I
pull the pin and cover together the length of the row (or however far I
need) and toss them towards the far side - the pins will usually stay in the
cover. And if they don't they are easily found since they are red - again
much more gentle on lawn mowers and tillers than the steel earth staples
when you do lose one and hit it.

When I bought them it seemed like I was spending a fortune but then I
considered them an investment and they have turned out to be that. I can't
tell you how many stones, bricks, rebar, 2 x 4's, etc. I've lugged to the
fields - and lost!

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas