market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Combine's

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Combine's
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:43:07 -0500

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:49:59 -0600, you wrote:

>I totally agree Pat. What can we do about it?

We can remember it when we vote, and educate ourselves about
the issues and the candidates' positions on the issues
before we vote. AFAIK, all the Democratic candidates have
websites and we all know Bush's position on the issues by
now. So it's not difficult to learn their positions on
various issues.

And we can buy local - as much as possible. I make a real
effort to buy local food whenever possible (or grow it - you
can't get more local than that). We try to buy whatever
else we can locally too. No one can do this completely in
today's world, but we can try.

Also: you can write to your Senators and Representative and
tell them that you are very concerned about globalization,
jobs leaving the USA, and the replacement of family farms by
factory-farms owned by giant corporations.

You can find out how to email, write, phone, or fax your
representatives here:

http://www.senate.gov
http://www.house.gov

Tell them you don't want any more tax cuts for the rich:
tell them you'd prefer that that money be used to help fix
some of the USA's problems. Tell them you'd like the
existing Bush tax cuts for the rich rolled back.

No, they won't change their positions because you wrote to
them. But they do keep track of what their constituents
want. They want to be re-elected after all. And some
Republicans have started voting against the majority on
quite a few issues. So I think writing to your
representatives *can* help.

BTW, one of the Democratic candidates advocates pulling out
of NAFTA and the WTO. This would help immensely. It
wouldn't solve the problem, but it would help greatly.

I'm skating on thin ice here, and don't want it to become
too political (but how can you talk about farming WITHOUT it
tending to become political?) but if anyone wants to know
which candidate advocates pulling out of NAFTA and the WTO,
email me and I'll be glad to tell you in private email.

Pat