market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Whole grains and small scale grain production.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: bockpa AT plesh.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Whole grains and small scale grain production.
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:03:29 -0400

I always enjoyed Gene Lodgsons articles on homesteading in the old OGF mag.
back in the 70's the info is timeless "sustainable journalism". Small grains
don't pay in the best of times on a small farm if your intent is to sell them,
they are valuable as a feed supplement in any time.
This year we averaged 50 bushels per acre winter wheat, the profit was not
much
more than $50 a acre, 10 pumpkins will bring that!. I plant wheat sometimes
barley as a cover crop and hire a neighbor to harvest the grain, some I keep
for seed the rest I sell. I don't figure any profit from the sale of the grain
because my intent was just to grow a cover crop. There actually is more money
in the straw than in the grain. Of course whatever grains you grind and eat
yourself, after all is said and done, is priceless...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.