market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Whole grains and small scale grain production.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Whole grains and small scale grain production.
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:33:59 -0500

Paul there is no shortage of "very used" combines for under 10 grand many
under
$5000, I guess that's why we don't see anyone taking the plunge into building
small combines in the USA. Clearly you need to be a good mechanic to keep one
of
these machines going, but on a small acreage that may not be a problem. We
have
many very small farms in my area that use very old fashioned horse drawn
binders, they seem to work well and the grains get to dry naturally in the
summer sun. I rarely see these for sale, families pass them down from
generation
to generation, or collectors grab them up and condemn them to dust collectors
in
museums...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.