market-farming - [Market-farming] LOCALLY GROWN was CSA definition was End of season?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] LOCALLY GROWN was CSA definition was End of season?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 08:09:56 -0400

> Sadly, a new, highly commercial 'subscription produce' operation has
started up here in the Washington, DC area. You can get Chilean (and
whatnot) produce all through the year in a weekly box that is a
guaranteed wait and content.

another reason to educate consumers and promote "locally grown".

Agreed, but it's v. scarey how one concept can overlay the other. Now there's yet another one: Local conventional is preferable to california organic. Now, I don't want to debate that exact topic! ;-) But, what I'm seeing happen is people rationalizing not buying organic produce by buying just conventional produce locally which, again, is not building a market for sustainability produced local foods.

How do we educate the public locally? Or how do we afford to educate them?

What I'm doing is starting a speaker's series on local food and real nutrition

Joel Salatin is speaking Jan 21, Sally Fallon Feb 18, Jerry Brunetti in March and we're working on Michael Shulman, Steve McFadden, and Michael Ableman for later in the year. Any other speaker suggestions?

Oh, and we re-named the CSA "FRESH AND LOCAL CSA"

But what else can we do to get this message across, locally?

-Allan