market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Baby greens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: roger69 AT yahoo.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Baby greens
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:27:46 -0400

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:40:31 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>Is anyone on the list growing baby greens?
>If so, would you care to share your methods?
>
>I'm considering growing them in flats for ease of harvest. Is anyone
>doing that?
>
>Basically I could grow them in flats, in or out of a greenhouse,
>depending on what I'm growing; or I could grow some of them in raised
>beds. I don't think growing them right at ground level would be very
>convenient.
>
>Any thoughts?

I've thought the following - but not done it, just thought
it. :)

Stores such as Wal-Mart and K-Mart sell plastic storage
containers ON WHEELS. The ones I'm thinking of are fairly
flat (about 8-12" deep), but quite large (maybe 2' x 3'),
and I think you're supposed them to use for storing things
under a bed.

If you had these and drilled holes for drainage, they'd be
great containers for baby greens.

You could move them around, in and out of the greenhouse or
in and out the sun, etc. You could drill a hole in the
front and tie a rope through the hole so you could pull them
if you wanted to move them.

I use a 'rolling garden seat' (like a swiveling tractor seat
on wheels - bought from Lee Valley Tools). With this, I can
sit comfortably and tend raised beds that are about 1' high
- so I could sit comfortably and tend one of the containers
described above too.

I suppose the main disadvantage to these containers would be
their initial cost. I just might buy a few for baby greens,
though.

Pat