market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Market vehicles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Bob" <bob AT bidumup.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Market vehicles
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:06:30 -0500

> > Have any of you built insulated boxes for your trucks and would you mind
if
> > the students in the class contacted you to learn more about your
> > design? Any design suggestions and ideas are welcome...I will pass them
on
> > to the students. Thanks.
> useful number of berry flats.
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the Urethane Foam panels 1" and if you use
these 4 thick you get in to the R40 range for sides top and bottom. I built
a box many years ago, using FRP paneling for the inside and galvanized
steel on the outside like an old cooler. Use silicone caulk on the seams
inside. Use panel glue or floor adhesive between the urethane and the FRP
and between each layer of urethane and then to the galvanized steel. The
thicker the steel the heavier the box and the stronger. Put a drain and a
stopper on the inside for convenience if you like. If you put a piano hinge
in the lid you can open from either side without lifting the whole lid off.
The lid should inset into inside of the box a little and cover all the way
to the outside. Galvanized is not hard to work with -- hammer and piece of
angle iron to bend it over-fold the corners if you like- braze them or
poprivet or solder any way works- Work from the outside inside if possible.
Top lip out of wood 2"X4" cut out of a 2X6 so that it really is 4" lap join
the corners- cut your tin so that it will wrap over the inside edge of the
2x4 then bend over the top and side to the bottom fill with foam then put
the FRP inside and on the top lip it will cover the tin. Make your lid 4"
thick as well. Pretty cheap and very durable. Oh the easy way for the
bottom? Make another lapped piece like the lid and the same size but it will
be under the box not inside. fold a lip 4" in on the bottom of the long side
piece that will wrap all the way around the box. Tack the bottom lip down
all the way around then cut a bottom piece and fit it over the lip snug to
the sides on the inside on top of the wood and galvanize roof nail it
snuggly in place- Looks like a box- May be that will help. This works kind
of like a thermos bottle in that the inside and outside only connect at the
top through on piece of wood so the least amount of cold leakage occurs.
FRP is fiberglass reinforced plastic required in most food places as it is
durable and easy to clean.