market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Re: Rhubarb

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MEGAULT AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Re: Rhubarb
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:21:52 EDT

Greetings,

Here is an "accidental" rhubarb observation from Montana, where we have had a very odd summer, with nearly two months of temps in the 90s...I have had a terrible problem with wind knocking my corn down in that past, so this year we constructed a straw bale "wall" to protect it.  I forgot where my rhubarb was, and later discovered it growing out from under one of the heavy straw bales.  I took off the upper bales, leaving only one in place, and those plants have produced more this season than ever before.  Also, the color is different than my other rhubarb that has grown away from the bales.  It produces a beautiful, bright pinkish-red stalk, without the green hues.  It has kept producing numerous good, thick stalks, providing me with a constant supply to sell at the farmer's market. (I can't tell you the variety because these are old, established plants.)

You would think the bales would crush the plants, but I find the stalks protected beneath the bale, while the leaves fight to reach daylight.  Seems like a pretty good testimony to thick mulch!

Best,

Megan
MountainView Gardens
Bozeman, MT