market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] soil preparation for community garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] soil preparation for community garden
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 02:45:03 +0000

Hi,

As an urban gardener you probably know this, but please beware of lead levels
in your soil -- origins mostly in old lead paint from adjacent housing over
the
years, and from car exhaust from old lead-additive gasoline. Arrange for a
good
soil test to be sure.

Very small amounts of lead can cause permanent neurological damage in
children,
and larger amounts can impair adults, unless promptly detected and treated.
When I lived in Boston, we could have mined our back yard garden spot for
lead.
As a result, I built raised beds with scavenged, clean compost and soil, even
lining the bottoms of the beds with perforated plastic to limit root contact
with the contaminated soil but allowing drainage.

As you might expect, root crops show the heaviest uptake, followed by greens
and then fruiting / flowering vegetable crops.

Bob
Red Brick Farm
Hopewell, NJ