market-farming - [Market-farming] soil preparation for community garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Grow19 AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] soil preparation for community garden
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:36:49 EDT

Hi Farming Friends,

I'm a lurker on the list, director of a community & youth gardening nonprofit in Washington DC.  I thought I'd turn to you all for some good advice.

I'm advising the startup of a new community garden -- its about 50'x200', may 1/3 again larger than that; flat, currently growing a bountiful crop of weeds.

I'm looking for practical, low-cost, plan for preparing the soil.  There are SO many options, but some cost more than others, some are ready for planting sooner than others, etc.  For example, the rototilling and amending plan which would cost more and take a long time to do.

I think this group might be a great candidate for a no-till option in which they start by mowing down the weeds, smothering the weeds (advice please), then 'building' soil by layering up the least costly ingredients (composted leaves, soil, manure/sawdust mix, straw, etc -- advice please!), then letting it sit and settle over the winter, for planting in the spring.

I would really like your advice on this.

Thanks!

Judy Tiger
Garden Resources of Washington
Washington, DC 20009
grow19 AT aol.com
... building community, revitalizing neighborhoods, and educating youth through community and youth gardens ...