market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Occasional Market sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Occasional Market sales
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:56:27 -0500

Yes, every market has different rules and a different structure. This discussion is a great way to get ideas for changing the current structure if it seems to be causing problems, or to set up a new market. The Fayetteville Farmers' Market, in Fayetteville, AR, is celebrating its 30th season of operation this summer. We are a producer-only market, allowing members to only sell produce grown on their own farm, or crafts they have made. We have a few processed products: goat cheese from the member's own goats and dairy, frozen lamb from the members' own farm but processed by a USDA inspected facility, blueberry jam made by a co-packer from blueberries grown by the member. The market is open 3 mornings a week from April through October, and Saturdays only in November until Thanksgiving. A few of our members manage to be at the market almost every day it is open, others are seasonal (for example, to sell blueberries only during the few weeks they are in season), others have other jobs and only come on Saturdays. We have a point system that rewards members for being at the market; the member with the most points at the end of the year gets first choice of assigned spots for the next year. We have about 80 members, with about 50 setting up on a Saturday in the middle of the summer. Being there on a regular basis is definitely a good way to get acquainted with people who become loyal customers, but the seasonal folks have done very well, also. Janet Bachmann
Riverbend Gardens
(and NCAT's ATTRA project)