market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] Regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Hopkins" <rdhopkins AT americanpasturage.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] Regulations
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:42:43 -0500

If it is any help, Missouri farmers' markets are regulated by the county
health departments. The state publishes regulations and each county uses
them as guidelines for their practices. Some counties will allow sampling
at farmers' markets, some do not. They do not limit what is sold with
exception of live animals as long as their requirements are met. Our meat
must be kept at zero degrees or colder and under mechanical refrigeration at
all times. We cannot use dry ice or just put it in a cooler for sale at the
market.

Prepared foods must come from a health department inspected kitchen. Meats
must be USDA inspected. Egg license is required for farm eggs.

Rick