market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Regulations - Robert Farr

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Regulations - Robert Farr
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:29:21 -0400

I believe farm markets are regulated by your state dept. of
agriculture. Some states allow sampling; others do not. While speaking
at a conference in Michigan this January, I learned that the Michigan
extension service does not allow sampling - you can't even cut up an
apple for a customer (although you can give a whole apple away). The
inability to sample products in certainly an unfair regulation, which
puts an onerous burden on the farmer. Especially when we introduce new
crops (or products), we must be able to sample! No sample, no sale.

Yes, the FDA site is overwhelming! Just take it a bite at a time...

--
Robert Farr
The Chile Man

* A sustainable farm producing hot sauce marinades, salsas, mustards,
and barbecue.
* Subscribe to our online newsletter at http://www.thechileman.com
* Check out this article about us from The Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A8659-2001Jul17.html
* Open Houses and Farm Tours throughout the year. See our web site for
details!