market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tips for pregnant farmer?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tips for pregnant farmer?
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:17:18 -0700

> Hope the fellas don't think this is too off topic!

It might be a little off topic but I admit it is also a bit entertaining. I
can remember when a bunch of farmers getting together would talk about
tractors and cattle, not ------. Since I got involved in sustainable
agriculture much of that has changed. Seems like the nurturing-caring
aspect of sustainable agriculture philosophy has attracted it's fair share
of actively involved women farmers.

One thing that may have helped me make this attitude shift was my experience
of working with subsistence farmers in Bolivia during the early 70s. Much of
the time as I worked in rural villages in Heifer Project related work, I
found myself working with women. Seemed like the men were often sitting
around drinking and playing pool. It was the women that made the society
work both at the production and marketing ends. And yes we often found them
working their stalls in the open air markets with babies slung into blankets
across their backs and tied together in a simple knot at their chests. They
could slip the baby around to the front and begin nursing it without missing
a beat as they handed me my change. This all took place at a time in my
life when I was still adjusting to girls getting actively involved in FFA.

Oh hearing you mention that you have lifted 100 lb feed sacks earns you my
respects, and more so if you have considered that not doing it while
pregnant might be a good idea. My honest opinion is that it's not a bad
idea for most women to not lift 100 lbs pregnant or not. I can still man
handle 100 lbs with impunity and when younger could tackle over 200 lbs
without giving it so much as a second thought. However at age 54 I have a
little chronic arthritis in my hips and lower back to show for it.

Time to start slowing down a little,
Marlin Burkholder
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia